Restore your smile with dental implants or dentures—call us at (757) 340-8155 for an exam.
Tooth loss can rob a person of their smile and their self-confidence. If you’re missing one or more teeth, we’re here to help. At Waterman Family Dentistry, we’ve been rebuilding smiles in Virginia Beach, VA, since 2012. We offer quality dentures and will take the time to help you decide which option is right for you.
Exploring Your Options: Types of Dentures
Dentures and implants both serve the same purpose—to replace missing teeth. However, with either prosthetic, you have a few options. Which is right for you will depend on the number of missing teeth, their location, and your personal preferences.
- Partial dentures replace one or more teeth. A dental bridge is one example of a partial denture where a metal frame attaches the denture to adjacent teeth.
- Full dentures replace teeth on both the upper and lower jaw. Traditional full dentures and attach to the gums with adhesive. You can remove them overnight and take them out for cleaning.
- Dental implants are anchored to the jaw with screws. This makes them more stable than dentures, although the cost is higher. Many patients find that implants feel more natural than conventional dentures, but most dental implants are not removable.
- Hybrid implant–supported dentures include an attached base and snap-on teeth. Four to six screws anchor the base to the jaw. The artificial teeth attach to the screws. Like dentures, the teeth can be removed for cleaning.
If you need teeth removed prior to full denture placement, you may be given temporary dentures to replace missing teeth during the healing process.
Dentures vs. Implants: Which Is Best?
Dentures and implants both have their benefits and drawbacks. Neither option is necessarily better than the other. We’ll offer a recommendation and help you understand your options after your exam, but in the meantime, here’s a quick comparison of the two:
- Cost is low compared to implants and hybrid dentures.
- Surgery might not be necessary. This means there is no need for an anesthetic.
- Unless you need teeth pulled, there’s no downtime or healing process.
- Increased stability because they are anchored to the jaw.
- There is no need for adhesives to keep the artificial teeth in place.
- Implants can prevent bone loss in the jaw after tooth extractions.
If you have dental insurance, our team can also help you determine whether it offers coverage for dentures or implants, as that may play a role in your decision.
What to Expect During Your Consultation
The process starts with a consultation where we’ll review your dental history, complete an exam, and take x-rays if necessary.
We understand that every patient, like every denture or implant, is unique. We create tailored dental solutions and go above and beyond to ensure that your experience with our office is positive. Our team at Waterman Family Dentistry is committed to providing first-class dental care.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call us at (757) 340-8155 or stop by our office. We are conveniently located off I-264 in Virginia Beach, VA.